In 2018, student-athletes at the University of Washington continued to perform well in the classroom, with the program average Academic Progress Rate (APR) for Husky Athletics at 988. This marks the sixth consecutive year that UW's overall APR rate measured above 980.
Three Husky programs earned NCAA public recognition for earning rates in the top 10-percent in their sport, including gymnastics, women's tennis, and football, which charted the top APR rate in the Pac-12 for the first time. Football having the top conference APR rate is the first time any school has posted a higher score than Stanford in APR's 14-year history. Both the gymnastics and women's tennis programs earned perfect 1,000 multi-year scores on the APR.
"The continued achievements by our teams in this measure reflect our student-athletes and coaches' deep commitment to academic success," said Jennifer Cohen
, UW Director of Athletics, back in May when the NCAA released APR scores. "Consistent success like this takes tremendous effort from a great many people, most notably our incredible student-athletes, their coaches, and the outstanding academic support staff led by Kim Durand
APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team's academic performance. The APR scores released reflect academic rates from the 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years.
About The Competitive Edge Fund
When you donate to The Competitive Edge Fund
, you give student-athletes a leading advantage in their education and in competition, empowering them to create a positive impact in the world. The Fund
was launched in 2016 as part of The Game Changer Campaign for Husky Athletics, fueling one of our most ambitious fundraising efforts to date to support UW Athletics.
Gifts to The Fund
- Strength: Your gift allows us to provide cutting-edge training equipment and to recruit and retain expert strength and conditioning staff to help improve performance and prevent injury.
- Fuel: From healthy meals to nutrition education and individual counseling, your donation provides Husky student-athletes the right fuel and support they need to compete at the highest levels.
- World-class education: You can give young men and women something they will value for a lifetime — a world-class UW education plus the academic support student-athletes need to excel in class and to graduate.
- Teachers: Your donation fuels our ability to recruit and retain the best coaches and staff in college sports, who build winning teams and develop lifelong skills in the student-athletes they coach and support.
- Innovation: From computerized performance analysis to specialized recovery equipment, your gift provides the newest technologies needed for building champions.
- Opportunity: Your gift provides student-athletes with transformational volunteer and study-abroad experiences, leadership and mentoring programs, internships and more.
To learn more about The Competitive Edge Fund
or make a gift, click here